This blog will bring you through the process of replacing a failed PERC card in a Dell Poweredge system. This process is identical for the PERC5 and older, however, PERC4 and earlier controllers will use a different configuration utility.
- First, remove the failed card from the system and put the replacement card in.
- Power on the system. There are several different ways that a new card can behave when it’s first powered on.
- It may automatically import the array off of your hard drives, if this is the case you will see a message while it’s going through post that references the number of virtual drives handled by the controller. If you see this (image below) you will not need to do anything further and the server should boot through the OS:
- The other potential behavior is a message saying, “foreign configuration(s) found on adapter” as shown here:
- If you get the message about foreign configurations on the adapter, press “c” or “Ctrl+R” to enter the raid controller utility menu. On the upper right hand corner a message about foreign configurations will be present as shown here:
- Highlight the top option on the main screen and press “f2”. This action will bring up a sub-menu and “foreign config” will be one of the options on the sub-menu. Press “enter” or the right arrow on “foreign config” and it will bring up another sub-menu with “import” and “clear” being the options, click on “import”, as shown.
- Then, it will take a few minutes to process and, assuming everything else is fully functional. the configuration utility should update and show a list of all of the virtual drives that were configured on the system. This will look like this:
This concludes the process for replacing a failed PERC card in a Dell Poweredge system. We hope you were successful in your process. Questions and comments are welcome below if you appreciate our technical support blogs or if you have additional questions!
At Velocity Tech Solutions our purpose and passion is to help our customers achieve ginormous success through communication, education, and execution. As a technology company we strive to deliver the product, educate our customers on how IT can enable their business goals, and find extended value in their IT investment through offering refurbished options to stretch their budget.
A little background on us, our company opened its doors in 2007 with a network engineer mindset. One of the owners, a former network engineer, was driven to make it easier for engineers and IT technicians to do their job by having a reliable source to get parts, making sure they got there on time, and most importantly, making sure that they worked! Our passion for providing reliable parts and services for companies that were dependent upon their servers is what got us started.
However, we are not just a parts company, we are a trusted solutions company – our solutions have helped us make enormous strides in the industry. Don’t believe us? Just ask Dell. Before Dell went private and transferred their IT support overseas we were one of their first sources for parts and issue resolution support. When their IT support was stumped they would call us – we helped some major OEM support technician increase their resolution rates from 60 percent to well over 90 percent. Our determination and persistence to solve problems is what truly sets us apart.
We listen to your issues, wants, and needs and work tenaciously to achieve your desired result. We also understand that servers and IT is a tricky fish to fry, there are many technical terms to navigate, configurations to consider, and options to choose from; rest assured we won’t leave you hanging – your peace of mind is important to us and we want you to feel comfortable and excited about our partnership.
Now, with the changes in technology over the years we are keeping up and staying relevant and providing solutions, servers, infrastructure updates and so much more with a passion that burns brighter than ever. We continue to strive to get you the right parts quickly, safely, and at a lower cost than the OEM and we combine this with our talented solutions specialist team and technicians to provide you the best customer experience in the market.
Let us help you achieve ginormous success – Call us at (888) 784-2088 or (651) 633-0095 or visit our website.
As a society, we hold a stigma that new products are substantially better than ones that we have had for just a few years. We see this trend with laptops, phones, cars, etc. But, the reality of the market is, you don’t need the newest of the new, this is just what the large corporations and their advertising teams want you to believe. There are many individuals that have found perfect happiness, and held larger wallets, with used and refurbished products such as furniture, appliances, houses, and cars.
Why can’t this practice be transferred into the business world, especially with your server and hardware needs. Avoid being the individual that has gotten into the habit of throwing away perfectly good commodities for the newer, shinier, and supposedly better product, when there is a tested and trusted source to purchase a refurbished choice. Not only will you help save the planet and work towards a non-disposable society, but you will also save your company a great deal of money.
Speaking of money: budgeting and financial planning is a large part of any business and the IT budget can only grow so much. Here’s the nitty gritty: we are living in a software driven world. Without proper software, hardware would not be able to communicate and the tasks that we need done would not be completed. Software can range from $50,000 to over a million dollars per business depending on the type of software, amount of licenses, and complexity of the goals. On the other hand, hardware is a commodity, you can find it anywhere and buy it at any time assuming there is room in the budget.
Logically speaking, it would make more sense to save money on the hardware than to attempt to shrink down the size of the software allowances. The best way to do this is to buy refurbished servers and hardware parts: hard drives, batteries, raid controllers, etc. Refurbished hardware is a fraction of the cost of new hardware and the differences are minimal.
The fact of the matter is: refurbished servers, for example, are just as reliable as new servers. They run just as well, can be just as fast, and are able to have the same maintenance support as a server that is brand new and has never seen the light of day. Not only are servers less expensive in general, but upgrading hardware is cost effective as well. Imagine being able to cut the cost of a memory upgrade in half. Your finance department will praise you!
But, it is also important to look at the source of the refurbished server and find a trusted company so that you can maximize the benefit of saving money and receiving a reliable product. At Velocity Tech Solutions, our hardware is tested by our in house Dell-certified technicians when it comes into our warehouse and before it gets shipped out to the customer. In addition, we offer a standard one year warranty on all of our products – we trust our technicians and the talent of our team and are ready to stand behind our products 100 percent of the time.
The next time you are looking to upgrade your hardware, call our trusted solutions specialists at (888) 784-2088 or (651) 633-0095 or visit our website at velocitytechsolutions.com. Let us help you be the hero of your company and get you the reliable parts you need for a fraction of the cost.
In this installment of the How To series by Velocity Tech Solutions, we take you through the steps to configure your IDRAC information so that it is accessible and then take you through how to access your IDRAC once it can be found in your network.
Configuration: First, you need to configure your IDRAC IP information in order to make it accessible on your network by following these steps.
For Generation 11 and earlier servers:
- To get to the configuration menu in post, hit Ctrl+E when it references the “IDRAC configuration utility”.
- Once in this utility, you will find a “LAN parameters” option. The first thing that you will want to do is clarify whether you have an enterprise or express IDRAC.
- If you have enterprise you can use the dedicated IDRAC network port.
- If you have express, it will share one of the LAN ports on the motherboard. You can decide which port you want to share if that is the case.
- Farther into the “LAN Parameter” menu, there will be a section where you input your ipv4 and ipv6 information for your network.
- You can also use the default IP of 192.168.0.120
For Generation 12 and later servers:
- To get to the IDRAC configuration, use the F2 menu.
- Once there, after post, select the “IDRAC settings menu” option.
- Choose the “network settings” option.
- Within there, it has the selection of dedicated and shared ports along with the IP configuration information.
Usage: Once you have your IP information configured and your IDRAC has a network cable hooked up to the proper NIC; you can then access your IDRAC using the IP information you configured in the earlier steps. Follow these steps to access your IDRAC.
- Type the IP information into a web browser on a computer that is on the same network as your server. It will bring you to a log in page (it may also give you a certificate error that you can bypass).
- You will be prompted to type in a username and password, the default login information is:
- Once you are logged in, you will be directed to a page where you will see tons of information about the server.
- There will be a column along the left hand side with different sections you may go to for different bits of information about the server.
- Along the top bar, there will be tabs that change and give you different options depending on what section you are in.
- If you have an enterprise license on the main page of the IDRAC you will also have remote access option that will allow you complete remote access of the server; even outside of an OS environment.
- However, this will require a specific version of Java to function properly.
We hope that this How To garnered success on your end! Thank for visiting our blog and our bi-weekly How To!
The short answer: MONEY.
We all want to look like heroes and save our companies thousands of dollars each year but, more often than not, we become the goat, the butt of all jokes, the one who fell for the scam. You find out that in the long run the service is so bad that you end up spending more money per incident because you got what you paid for. However, most buyers who utilize 3rd party maintenance services save up to 50 percent or more over three years, in most cases. In reality though, it isn’t just about the money you could save, excellent service is also an important trait, 3rd party technicians come just as qualified as OEM technicians. 3rd party maintenance requires careful vetting but in the end, it can be more than worth it.
This is where doing your homework and being educated to make a better choice is critical.
Let’s begin at the moment you decide to buy your nice, shiny, and new equipment from your original equipment manufacturer (OEM). The new server and switch smell is hard to beat. Keep in mind, once you take it out of the box you have already lost a third of your equipment’s value. It’s like taking that first right turn after you’ve picked up your brand-new car, it loses $8,000.00 in value. Though, it sure does smell good. We understand, with new equipment (or cars), you get that sense of security when something goes wrong and you know your OEM will be there to support you.
Now, fast forward three years: here’s the scenario: your equipment is working fine, you’ve made minimal service calls, and then you get the renewal notice for maintenance on your equipment, you gasp and your eyes grow wide!
The renewal offer is twice as much as it was originally and it now states that your equipment is now at the “end of life” stage. But it works great, now you are confused and dazed.
At this point, the OEM is trying to dictate your business decisions and your budget by scaring the bejeezus out of you and forcing you to believe that you absolutely must find the money to upgrade. This is the part where the OEM’s instill doubt about the equipment that they themselves sold to you. For years the immediate response from most buyers was, “Well, they know best, we should do this or we’ll have problems.” Objectively speaking, this actually means that they have no faith in their equipment after three years.
Truth be told, we are in a software defined world. Software costs, often times, outweigh hardware costs. So, let’s think about the six figures it takes to upgrade your hardware, in addition, for larger companies, it could take an additional seven figures to upgrade your software. Throughout this process there is no doubt that the OEM’s are fat and happy.
But, think about if you were able to extend the life of your hardware without needing to change any software and then spent just a few hundred dollars per year on your support, you would actually get to do the job you were hired to do. 3rd party maintenance services allow you to do just that.
OEM support contractors, often times, are the same folks that the 3rd party maintenance providers use. In a nutshell, this means that you have access to the same talented technicians that the OEM’s use, but at half the cost.
The next time you find that your OEM contract is up, save yourself the worry and call up Velocity Tech Solutions, they offer 3rd party maintenance, and have a chat with them, get some quotes, and match them up against your OEM’s quote. Velocity’s 3rd party maintenance, Velocity Support +, is a stress saving, hassle free, and budget friendly solution to prolonging the life of your hardware. The next time your hardware is having a problem: call (888) 784-2088 or (651) 633-0095, let Velocity Support + handle the hardware, and leave yourself free to kick your feet up.
Built into the lifecycle controller; the Dell, generation 11 and up, servers come with onboard diagnostics that can be used to test almost all of the hardware within the system.
- The first thing you need to do in order to reach the onboard diagnostics is to boot into the lifecycle controller; to do this press f10 while the system is going through its POST process. It will start by saying, “press f10 to enter system services” on the top right hand corner of the screen. When pressed it will change the message to inform you that it will attempt to boot into the lifecycle controller at the end of POST.
- After it’s booted into the lifecycle controller, which can take several minutes depending on the model, you will be brought to a UEFI menu with full mouse and keyboard support. Look for “hardware diagnostics” on the left hand column of options.
- Once the “hardware diagnostics” option is selected there will be a link on the right that you can click into.
- On Generation 11 servers you will be brought into a two-option menu after entering the hardware diagnostics; one of the options is “MPmemory” and the other option is “diagnostics”. The “MPmemory” option will allow you to run tests on all of the system memory within the system. There is also an express option that will run a set number of tests and a custom option that will allow you to select a number of more time consuming options. The other menu, “diagnostics,” will have a number of different types of tests you can run. You can either select “express” or “full tests,” which will run the system through a set number of tests or you can use custom tests which will bring you to a menu were you can manually select and deselect different devices to test.
- On Generation 12 servers you will be brought into one single diagnostic menu which will test everything from within one test area.
- After all tests are completed there should be an error readout area that will list any devices that failed. It should also give some information on what failed on each device, if any.
This finalizes the steps to take in order to run onboard diagnostics for Dell, Generation 11 and up, servers. We hope these steps aided in your success and we thank you for visiting our blog and our bi-weekly How To!
It is no secret that, in this day and age, online shopping is the first option for many individuals when they are in need of any product at any time. Shopping online can be the quickest and most convenient option when we take into consideration the busy day-to-day lives of consumers across the globe. What is easier than spending a few minutes browsing for the product you need and purchasing it for two-day delivery with the touch of a button?
The first place that many people look to when in need of any product is Amazon.com. Amazon was developed in 1994 by Jeff Bezos and is headquartered in Seattle, Washington. Initially, the company’s niche was as an online bookseller that found success because of it’s extensive online inventory of literature. Over the past three decades it has grown into the largest Internet company in the world in terms of revenue and into the second largest employer in the United States, behind Walmart. Amazon now sells: clothing, electronics, jewelry, hardware, furniture, home essentials, groceries, toys, video games, media, and countless other products.
Sure, it is safe to say that you can get almost anything from Amazon.com, including servers, hard drives, and software. They have a plethora of different products and options readily available for purchase. But, with a company as large as them, there are multiple qualities that you wish they had.
Examples of wishful qualities may include:
- a guarantee that the product is tested for accuracy and usability and will ensure that your needs are met with the correct product before shipment.
- a standard, guaranteed warranty with each and every single product.
- long-lasting support and a real relationship with the company for future reference and solutions help.
- guiding questions that are readily asked or quickly answered.
Fortunately for consumers everywhere, these wishes can be granted. All of these qualities come standard with a purchase from Velocity Tech Solutions.
Velocity Tech Solutions was founded in 2007 out of Minneapolis, MN with a network engineer mindset. Over the past decade they have propelled forward as a supplier of refurbished and tested Dell servers, Equallogic hard drives, Precision work stations, and Dell parts. The service that Velocity Tech Solutions offers is second to none in terms of their customer care, careful analysis, accurate fixes, and speedy delivery.
We ask relevant questions in order to make sure that the product you are ordering is the correct one for your intended fix. Every single one of our products is tested by Dell Certified Technicians on the way into our warehouse, as well as on the way out when you order for delivery. In addition, every product we sell comes standard with an honorable one year warranty through our company.
However, the most important perk of allowing Velocity Tech Solutions to be there for your server, hardware, and software needs is the genuine care that you receive before, during, and after your purchase. Our solutions specialists and technicians are available to assist you in any step of the process whenever called upon, in every hour of the day. Our passion is to be your one stop shop in terms of being a solutions resource.
Now, don’t get us wrong, we love Amazon just as much as the next person when it comes to getting what we know we need quickly and efficiently. But, we also understand that some purchases take time, thought, and the need for a solutions specialist to be there for you every part of the way. Confidently receiving the correct product and the warranty are just a bonus.